The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) offers free printed and digital materials on mental health topics for patients and their families, health professionals, and the general public.
NIMH publications are in the public domain and may be reproduced or copied without permission from the Institute. We encourage you to reproduce and use them in your efforts to improve public health. If you do use our materials, we request that you cite the National Institute of Mental Health.
It is not the intention of NIMH to provide specific medical advice, but rather to provide users with information to better understand their health and their diagnosed disorders. Consult with a qualified health care provider for diagnosis, treatment, and answers to your personal questions.
We appreciate your interest in our materials.
- Ordering Online
- Ordering Limits
- Order Status
- Creating an Account
- Privacy and Security
- Copyright Policy
- Citing NIMH Materials
- Questions About an Order
How do I place an order?
- Find an item that interests you.
- Enter the number of copies you would like to order.
- Click the "Add to Cart" button.
- When you have finished adding items to your shopping cart, click the "Proceed to Checkout" button.
- You will be prompted for your contact and shipping information.
Note: You can create an account if you wish, or check out as a Guest.
Can I order an item that is "out of stock"?
- If an item is out of stock, you can request to be notified by email when the publication is back in stock and available for ordering.
Note: This restock notification feature is only available to users who have an account. Click on the “Create New Account” link at the top of any page to create an account.
- Click on the "Get Notified When This Publication Comes Back in Stock" button on the publication’s ordering page.
- If you are logged in to your account, the system will confirm your request.
- If you do not have an account, you will be prompted to create one.
- You will receive an email message when the publication is back in stock.
How much is standard shipping?
Standard shipping is provided free of charge to all states and territories in the United States. Please note:
- Standard shipments are sent via the U.S. Postal Service.
- Standard shipping also covers delivery to Rural Routes, APO, and FPO addresses.
- Allow 3-4 weeks for delivery within the continental United States.
- Standard delivery does not include delivery on Sundays or holidays.
Do you accept international orders?
Yes. International orders may be placed by emailing email@example.com or by calling 1-866-615-6464. Orders from outside the United States are limited to one copy of each title, with a maximum of 10 titles.
How long will my order take to arrive?
Most orders shipped within the continental United States should arrive within 3-4 weeks (from the date ordered). Orders outside the continental United States (i.e., Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, etc.) could take 4-6 weeks to arrive.
Note: All orders placed on a weekday after 11:00 a.m. ET will be processed the following business day. In addition, orders placed over the weekend will be processed the following business day.
Can I have my order expedited?
Yes. Orders can be shipped via FedEx, provided you are willing to pay for the shipping and can provide a FedEx account number. Expedited orders can be placed by calling 1-866-615-6464 and speaking with an information specialist. Please have your FedEx account number ready when calling.
Note: Expedited packages cannot be delivered to a P.O. box. You must provide a street address.
The item I want is out of stock. Will it be available again?
Although every effort is made to maintain an adequate inventory of each publication, unforeseen demand may exhaust supplies. Future printings are at the discretion of the NIMH.
If you have an account, you can request to be notified by email when specific titles are back in stock. To set up an account, click on the “Create New Account” link at the top of any page.
If you do not wish to set up an account, please contact us again in a few weeks to check on the status of the item.
Why do items have limits?
We place limits on the quantity of an item customers may order so that NIMH can serve as many members of the public as possible.
What if I need more than the limit?
Requests for orders that are over the maximum quantity limit are considered on a case-by-case basis. We will make every attempt to ship the amount you requested; however, you may receive a smaller amount based on supply.
Before you checkout, you will be asked to complete a short form describing how you plan to use the publications. After you submit your order, we will review your request. In cases where supply is limited, NIMH reserves the right to ship less than the amount requested.
How can I check the status of my order?
For questions about the status of your order, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-866-615-6464 to speak with an information specialist. Please include your name, contact information, and order number in your email.
Creating an Account
Why should I create an account?
You do not need an account to place an order, but creating an account offers the following benefits:
- Enter your personal and shipping information only once instead of each time you place an order.
- Store multiple shipping addresses in a personal address book.
- Select and view “'favorite” publications.
- Repeat an order from your order history.
- Receive an email notice when "out of stock" items come back in stock.
How do I create an account?
To create an account, you only need to supply your email address and create a password. Click on the "Create an Account" link at the top of any page, and you will be guided through the registration process.
Am I required to create an account?
No. There's no need to create an account to place an order. After clicking on "Proceed to Checkout" from the shopping cart, click on the "Continue as Guest" button.
Privacy & Security
Is my information kept confidential?
Why am I asked for my phone number?
Please view our accessibility information.
The written information on our website and in our publications is in the public domain and may be reproduced without permission. However, the images in NIMH publications and on our website are used for illustrative purposes only; most are stock photos posed by models and may not be used for other purposes.
We encourage you to copy our publications and use them in your efforts to improve public health. If you do use our materials, we request that you cite the National Institute of Mental Health. In some cases, the NIMH website presents and cites materials from other federal agencies. We request that you use the citations that we provide if you use those materials.
Using government materials inappropriately can be unlawful, so we ask that you follow these guidelines:
- Do not alter NIMH content in a way that will jeopardize the integrity and brand of the Institute.
- Do not add logos to NIMH publications or materials.
- Images in NIMH publications and on our website may not be copied or used for other purposes, even if cited.
- Do not use NIMH publications to advertise or endorse commercial products, processes, or services.
- Do not use NIMH publications to give the appearance of providing specific medical advice, treatment recommendations, or referrals.
Citing NIMH Materials
Citation of the National Institute of Mental Health as a source is appreciated. No single "author" or "reviewer" should be cited.
For more information and examples on citing NIMH information, please visit Citing NIMH Information and Publications.
Questions About an Order
If you have questions about your order, problems with the website, or need other information from NIMH, send us a message via our Contact Us form. You may also call 1-866-615-6464, or email us at email@example.com.